Moonfire Ventures is an early-stage venture capital firm which aims to be the most compelling and best performing early-stage firm in Europe by aggressively using technology to accelerate and inform the entire investment process. At Moonfire, we’re passionate about enabling European entrepreneurs to dream big and execute fully on their bold ideas at the very earliest stages of their journeys.
At Moonfire, we have assembled a team of world-class investors, technologists, and product leaders. Founded by Mattias Ljungman, Moonfire leverages the vast experience that Mattias brings to the table having previously spent 13 years as a Co-Founder and Partner at Atomico with investments in many successful startups such as Klarna, Supercell, Viagogo, Rovio, and more.
Moonfire's technology efforts are currently led by Mike Arpaia who has extensive large-scale software engineering and machine learning experience at companies like Facebook, Etsy, and Workday and as the Co-Founder/CTO of Kolide. Mike has also worked on deep learning research projects at Mila and has spent several years as a member of the Kubernetes core team.
In addition to the Moonfire core team, we regularly leverage our advisors to expand our abilities and expertise. We have a large, diverse set of advisors and some of our technicals advisors are as follows:
- Henry Erskine Crum is a Director of Product Management at Facebook and a serial entrepreneur. Henry has been instrumental in helping us define and iterate on our core product and technology objectives.
- Steve Crossan is the VP of AI and Machine Learning at GlaxoSmithKline and has previously worked as the Head of Product at Google DeepMind. Steve has played a critical role in helping us formulate our core philosophies around how we use machine learning and data to accelerate and enhance the venture capital process.
As we recently described in our recent blog post which announced our $60m European Pre-Seed and Seed Fund, we believe that European tech and venture is going through a renaissance and now is the perfect time for a new fund to support founders at the earliest stage. It could not be a better time to launch a new seed fund to support the industry. Our first $60 million fund marks Moonfire’s first official moment but, of course, we have been working away in the background over the last year, building the team, building our technology, and making our first investments in companies like Humaans, Skunkworks, Oliva, and many more.
About the Role
We are looking to bring on a high-performing individual who will help us define and deliver our core technology roadmap. Software, data, and technology are central to everything that we do at Moonfire. The candidate will be responsible for helping us build the internal machine learning and software solutions that automate and accelerate as much of the traditional venture capital process as possible.
While we already have large datasets of relevant data that will allow for immediate progress, the candidate will also be a key contributor towards initiatives like sourcing, amassing, and processing massive amounts of additional data that will give Moonfire a competitive advantage in the venture capital industry. With all of this data, the candidate will spend time researching, developing, and delivering end-to-end deep learning solutions that allow Moonfire to leverage this data to make more successful investments more quickly.
At Moonfire, we like to think about the process of sourcing, screening, and evaluating potential investment opportunities as a large-scale data processing project. In addition to static datasets and advanced data modelling, the candidate will also help us build the real-time data processing systems that allow us to source, screen, evaluate, and action investments in real time.
As a deeply technical subject-matter expert, the candidate will also be involved in the venture process as well. They will occasionally help us evaluate investments by talking to founders and offering their perspective to the investment team. Supporting our existing portfolio companies is also extremely important to all of us at Moonfire so they may also develop relationships with founders so that they can share advice on machine learning, software engineering, hiring, and more.
At Moonfire, we know that we are only as good as our team. We hire the best people and we develop our team constantly. To be successful in this role, the candidate must be a world-class individual who is passionate about working with other world-class investors and operators.
- Work with Moonfire partners, staff, and advisors to help develop, define, and deliver on Moonfire’s technical strategy
- Research, develop, and deliver solutions to problems using state-of-the-art deep learning techniques, tools, and procedures
- Ensure that new technology decisions are researched and evaluated in a way that optimises for both the short- and long-term interests of the business
- Write sustainable, testable, maintainable software solutions to problems all throughout the technology stack
- Prioritise, schedule, and deliver major technical projects by overseeing and contributing to the entire delivery lifecycle
- Extensive familiarity and experience with modern deep learning
- Extraordinary software engineering skills that allow you to be a high-level individual contributor to all layers of the technology stack
- Experience and familiarity with the modern Python data stack
- Experience delivering machine learning research into production environments
- The ability to communicate extremely technical topics to non-technical audiences clearly and succinctly in both oral and written form
- The ability to thrive in an ambiguous environment with no playbook
- 5+ years of experience working in the technology industry with experience at an industry-leading AI company (DeepMind, Facebook, Google Brain, Microsoft Research, OpenAI, etc) and/or an industry-leading technology company (Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, Google, etc)
- An advanced degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Machine Learning, etc.
- The ability to define a vision and roadmap in the face of uncertainty
- The ability to translate high-level strategic objectives into a technical roadmap
- An exhibited interest in and experience with investing, venture capital, and portfolio management
- Publications at peer-reviewed AI conferences (e.g. NIPS, CVPR, ICML, ICLR, ICCV, and ACL)