Moonfire Ventures is an early-stage venture capital firm which aims to be the most compelling and best performing early-stage firm in Europe by aggressively using technology to accelerate and inform the entire investment process. At Moonfire, we’re passionate about enabling European entrepreneurs to dream big and execute fully on their bold ideas at the very earliest stages of their journeys.
At Moonfire, we have assembled a team of world-class investors, technologists, and product leaders. Founded by Mattias Ljungman, Moonfire leverages the vast experience that Mattias brings to the table having previously spent 13 years as a Co-Founder and Partner at Atomico with investments in many successful startups such as Klarna, Supercell, Viagogo, Rovio, and more.
As we recently described in our recent blog post which announced our $60m European Pre-Seed and Seed Fund, we believe that European tech and venture is going through a renaissance and now is the perfect time for a new fund to support founders at the earliest stage. It could not be a better time to launch a new seed fund to support the industry. Our first $60 million fund marks Moonfire’s first official moment but, of course, we have been working away in the background over the last year, building the team, building our technology, and making our first investments in companies like Humaans, Skunkworks, Oliva, and many more.
About the Role
We are looking for a highly-qualified legal leader to work closely with the entire Moonfire team running the operations of the firm. While the operations of a venture capital firm require a diverse set of skills across a wide array of subject matter (legal, finance, business operations, venture strategy, etc), the medium through which one must interact with many of these objectives is through that of legal contracts and legal subject matter. Thus, the ideal candidate will have early-career experience as a corporate lawyer with later-career experience in-house at a tech scale-up or start-up or at a venture capital firm in a legal or operations role.
The candidate will help drive Moonfire's mission to remain a small, focused team that has best-in-class firm operations from legal, finance, recruiting, professional development, to general business operations. As we scale our operations with multiple funds, a large portfolio of investments, and a high-powered select team of partners, the operations will become critical to our success. Helping us seamlessly scale, a successful candidate will drive our operations to new heights while embracing Moonfire's ambition to be the best venture firm to work at.
At Moonfire, we know that we are only as good as our team. We hire the best people and we develop our team constantly. To be successful in this role, you must be a world-class individual who is passionate about working with other world-class investors and operators.
- Advise the team on a wide range of venture capital and broader general legal issues relating to day-to-day operational activities, regulatory requirements, general matters and transactional work.
- Become a subject-matter expert in the legal domains of venture capital fund structure, term sheets, SAFE notes, debt facilities, etc
- Oversee fund operations requirements with the team and assist the team on managing requirements and deadlines (i.e. working with the FCA and our audit partners, liaising across third parties like SVB, our trustees, LPs, etc).
- Serve as liaison across the team for the purposes of project updates, proposals, and planning.
- Assist with on-going human resources projects including onboarding, payroll, etc. as well as collaborate with the rest of the team to address and resolve employee concerns.
- Oversee daily operations through collaboration with the team, performing an array of administrative tasks from generating correspondences, maintaining hard copy and electronic files, planning and coordinating annual investor meetings, preparing reports and correspondence, liaising with 3rd parties and founders, etc.
- Build and develop relationships with all employees for increased efficiency and effective responsiveness into existing operations.
- Serve as a subject matter expert, handling inquiries and developing action plans to address them, and assisting with the preparation and dissemination of communications.
- Excellent communicator in written and verbal form
- Extremely versatile, proactive and dedicated to efficient productivity
- Proven success coordinating and executing on the delivery of complex projects with multiple stakeholders
- Nimble business mind with a focus on developing creative solutions
- Strong project reporting skills with a focus on interdepartmental communication
- Professional experience as a corporate lawyer at a well-regarded law firm
- Professional experience working in an in-house legal or operations role at a technology company and/or venture capital firm
- Familiarity and/or experience with the way that venture capital firms are structured and organised
- Experience defining and managing budgets
- Experience with or exposure to statistical forecasting and financial modelling